Had enough of the Conservatives, their
political gamesmanship and abuse of power? We've seen this
government side-step Parliament through prorogation, committee
boycotts and stonewalling. We've witnessed unprecedented secrecy,
limits on media access, brinkmanship, and outright untruths.
Without real consequences for these abuses, why should we expect
any change from our politicians?
Catch 22 Harper Conservatives is a grassroots campaign to provide
real consequences for the Conservatives’ disrespect of voters and
Parliament. The objective of the campaign is to organize voters
into an electoral force that will:
1) Contribute to the defeat of the Conservative government.
We can achieve this by targeting at least 22 vulnerable, sitting
Conservative MPs across Canada (at least one MP for each day of
prorogation!) To succeed, we are proposing on-the-ground campaigns
in selected ridings to hand out pro-democracy literature.
2) Raise awareness about Canada's democratic deficit,
including our antiquated first-past-the-post voting system. The
Conservatives aren't the first party in Canada to abuse their
authority. We need a game-changer to improve accountability,
transparency, representation and advance democracy.
- Develop a Catch 22 communication network and internet presence
with organizing, discussion and fundraising capabilities.
- Identify at least 22 vulnerable, incumbent Conservative MPs
from as many provinces and territories as possible.
- Base riding selection principally on the winnable margins of
victory in the 2008 election and the extent of local
- Identify organizers and spokespeople in each targeted
- Recruit volunteers to distribute literature in each
- Prepare and print the literature, which will focus on democracy
related issues, the Conservative record, as well as previous
election results indicating the clear second-place finishers. The
literature will also encourage people to vote and provide voter
registration information. (Party or candidate endorsements would
not be made at this time.)
- Develop a toolkit that each riding campaign can use, including
detailed campaign templates for literature distribution and
organizing volunteers. The toolkit would also be used to maintain a
consistent message and Catch 22 “brand.”
- Consider other means to get the word out, such as posters and
- Build a network of people that can be mobilized once an
election is called.
- Consider expanding the campaign to additional Conservative-held
- Consider expanding to vulnerable opposition-held riding
Election period (total of 35
- Endorse and assist the opposition candidate with the best
chance of winning. Endorsement may be conditional on their support
for our objectives.
- Consider producing and distributing another piece of literature
or advertising under the Catch-22 name during the election (i.e. a
formal Third Party campaign).
- Consider making endorsements in other ridings.
- Consider recommending that political parties co-operate in
specific ridings to ensure the opposition vote is not split to the